Razputin Aquato or "Raz" for short is an eleven year old boy who is a member of the Psychonauts, although he is still in training.
Raz is shown to have psychic abilities, and powerful ones at that given that he impressed other strong psychics with his talents.
For reasons unknown, a family of psychics from a rival circus cursed Razputin's family to always die in water. Consequently, whenever Raz enters water deeper than a few inches, a supernatural liquid hand attempts to grab him and pull him beneath the surface.
He, albeit reluctantly, joins the Mystery Kids alongside his self-proclaimed 'girlfriend' Lili in order to battle the supernatural forces that haunt Gravity Falls after the children aided both him and Lili in defeating Dr. Loboto.
Raz stands around four feet tall, wearing a mismatched ensemble of clothes that include a green striped turtleneck, an aviator cap, brown gloves, brown pants, and his trademark pair of red goggles.
Raz is usually seen as a calm and collected boy, though on the one side he is witnessed as talented and curious, but shy and insecure. Raz is an eleven year-old boy who mostly stays in his own head, which makes sense since that’s where he is strongest. He's quite mentally developed for his age, but only after joining the camp does he begin to blossom. He is friendly, but won't stop himself from playing a playful prank or give a childish taunt, and has a semi-simple view of the world. Raz is shown to be rather overconfident with himself as the type to not to follow orders, most of the time. If someone tells him not to go somewhere, he will go there if he wants to, even if it poses a threat to his life.
Powers and Abilities
Raz is regarded as one of the most gifted psychics despite being a mere child. Many professional psychics have noted that Raz holds a surprising amount of PSI-power and has enormous potential to be one of the greatest psychics in the world.
- Telekinesis: An ability that enables him to levitate objects, propel or manipulate them however he wishes, lift himself and move through the air to simulate flight mainly through the use of mental energy in the form of a bubble, generate concussive force as blasts or bursts, and create protective shields.
- Force Field: The ability to project a mental shield to either shield him and his teammates or use it to lift multiple heavy objects at his enemy. Raz can also use this to prevent other psychics from reaching his mind and others' as well.
- Levitation: The ability to levitate on a psychic ball that allows Raz to move more quickly. Though not as skilled as Lili, he nonetheless uses it quite efficiently.
- Telepathy: Raz is able to read thoughts, project and broadcast his own thoughts, as well as affect the minds of humans and animals with higher order intelligence (such as dolphins, ravens or dogs). The range at which he can perform these feats is greatly increased as he got older.
- Mental Sedating: Can telepathically "sedate" his victims so that, if already rendered unconscious, they remain so for as long as he continues to "sedate" them.
- Mind Link: Ability to develop a mental link with any person, which remains as a connection to that individual.
- Mind Control: Can control the thoughts and actions of others, however, this ability is strenuous on him.
- Clairvoyance: The ability to see others' perspectives through their own eyes, which often shows Raz how others perceive him.
- Invisibility: He can alter the apparent physical appearance of himself and other people by altering the perceptions of those around him. This can go so far as to make other people believe that the camouflaged people are not there (invisible).
- Psychic Blasts: He can project psychic force bolts which can act as concussive blasts and can affect a victim's mind, causing them pain, knocking them unconsciousness or turning the victim "brain-dead". These blasts are strong enough to even affect someone as powerful as Bill Cipher in the Dreamscape.
Role in the Story
Raz is first seen watching Coraline and her friends venturing away from Mr. Babcock's car. After Dipper and Mabel meet up with Coraline's group of friends, Dr. Loboto found them and would have slaughtered them all if Raz and Lili hadn't intervened and destroyed his vehicle. After a brief confrontation, Loboto grabbed Raz and tried drilling through his head. However, Coraline grabbed Mabel's grappling hook and fired it at Loboto, rescuing Raz.
After the battle, Raz and Lili explain that they were ordered by the Psychonauts to hunt down Dr. Loboto, who was a wanted criminal, and that he and Lili were psychic agents. When Coraline insults Raz and Lili consequently gets into a fight with her, Raz tells Lili that she doesn't have to come to his defense like that. This didn't work and Raz was forced to hold Lili back while Wybie was holding back Coraline. After Dipper briefly got the gang to cooperate and told them his strategy, Raz and Lili dismissed his strategy and told him to leave defeating Loboto to them. When Coraline mentions that Raz was useless fighting Loboto up close, he, after a small comment by Mabel, responded by saying that was a mistake and that he and Lili would be ready next time. Shortly after this, everyone, including Raz, started arguing with one another. Only when Norman intervened did Raz and the others stop fighting. After the 80's montage started, Lili and Raz were going to kiss, but Mabel interfered and gave them some of her sweaters.
While everyone was in town looking for Loboto, Raz and Lili tried using their powers to locate him but failed. After Norman used his powers to communicate with Billy Joe Cobra and learned where Loboto was hiding, Raz stopped Lili from following the others and told that they couldn't let them mess up the mission only for Lili to call him out for how careless and cocky he had become after becoming a Psychonaut.
When the gang arrived at the Gravity Falls Junkyard, Raz yelled to Loboto that he had to turn himself in, much to Lili's frustration and anger. Raz's yelling ultimately had consequences, as it inadvertently gave the gang's position away and led Loboto right to them with a now rebuilt weaponized car. Lili and Raz generated psychic shield to keep everyone safe. When Coraline decided to act as leader, she gave Raz and Lili orders to keep their shields up. However, Raz decides to help Neil, Norman and Dipper destroy the vehicle, which they succeed in doing.
After the battle, Lili and Raz put Loboto in cuffs and toss him into a closet saying that Sasha and Milla will come to retrieve him. When Coraline is given the role of leader of the Mystery Kids (which Raz agreed with), Coraline turned it down and gave it to Raz, only for Raz to give part of that position back to her. During the epilogue, after Lili reads the minds of Coraline, Dipper and Mabel, Raz jokingly calls her "pure evil".
- Raz is the only character in the series to curse.